WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 1
CLASS: GRADE 5
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE
TOPIC 1: THE TOOTH.
TOPIC 2: THE IMPORTANCE OF VISION AND EYE DEFECTS.
REFERENCE: Science of living things book 6 and Active P.H. E
Structure of the tooth
The tooth is divided into three parts; crown, neck and root. The crown is the part of the tooth that can be seen in the mouth. The root is the part that is foxed in the gums and jawbone and the neck is the part that is found between the root and the crown.
Dental problems and their prevention –
Listed below are some problems that may occur in the teeth:
- Bad breath (halitosis) this is caused by gum disease cavity, oral cancer, dry mouth, bacteria on the tongue.
- Tooth decay also known as cavity.
- Gum disease or gum periodontal disease. It is an infection of the gums.
- Oral cancer.
- Tooth erosion.
- Tooth sensitivity. A pain or discomfort in the tooth when brushing or when eating hot or cold
- Tooth aches and dental emergencies e.g. accidents.
Prevention – We can prevent some teeth problems by following the instructions below:
- Brush your teeth twice a day.
- Eat proper and healthy food.
- Do regular dental check-ups (see your dentist).
- Educate yourself on the causes and prevention of dental problems.
- Avoid too much intake of snacks and drinks that are high in sugar.
The Vision (eye sight)
Vision simply means the process of seeing.
Importance of vision.
- To prevent dropping out of regular school.
- To give good self-esteem.
- To be able to see things clearly.
- To be able to see danger before it gets to you.
- Helps you to communicate well.
- To focus on the impression of light.
- To give the face a balance.
- The sight helps people to be able to do things quite independently.
Eye defects means eyesight problems.
Eye defects and correction.
- Myopia: – It is often called short sightedness because people who have it can only see nearby objects only. It can be corrected by using spectacles containing concave lenses.
- Hyperopia (hypermetropia): – It is often called long sightedness. People who suffer from it can see only far away objects clearly. It can be corrected by using spectacles containing convex lenses.
- Cataract: – This is when a person’s eye sight is cloudy resulting in blurred vision. It leads to total blindness if not treated on time.
- Astigmatism: – This combines both short sightedness and long sightedness features.
- Presbyopia: It is occurs mostly in old age. The eye loses it accommodation ability.
Exercises / Assignment.
- What is vision?
- Write down 4 importance of vision.
- List 4 eye sights problems.
- Another name for bad breath is _______________
- Name three parts of the tooth.
- Name 6 dental problems.
- How can we prevent dental problems?
- Draw a tooth and label its parts.