WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 1
CLASS: GRADE 5
SUBJECT: NATIONAL VALUES
TOPIC: INTERNATIONAL CONFLICTS
- A conflict is the misunderstanding or disagreement between two or more people.
- Cooperation is an understanding or agreement between two or more people working together to achieve a common good.
An international conflict occurs when two countries have a disagreement or quarrel due to some reasons.
Cause of international conflicts: – Listed below are examples of international conflicts and their definitions:
- Boundary dispute: This occurs when two countries quarrel over the ownership of a particular land.
- Economic rivalry: This may occur based on importation and exportation of goods and services.
- Political rivalry: – Problems can also occur between countries as a result of economic competitiveness. During wars, some countries support one country against the other.
- Military rivalry: – A conflict may arise as a result of two countries fighting over military superiority.
- Resources: Quarrel over who owns certain resources can cause dispute between two countries. For examples, the fight between Nigeria and Cameroon was because of the discovery of oil in the Bakassi area.
How to resolve group problems or group conflicts.
- By being tolerant and accepting other people’s opinions.
- Understanding each other in terms of religion and culture.
- By being honest and sincere in our daily activities.
- Adjusting to accommodate other people’s behaviour.
- Having good communication flow with other people.
Exercises / Assignment
- What is a conflict?
- What is cooperation?
- Identify 3 causes of international conflict.
- How can we resolve group problems?