WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 1
CLASS: GRADE 5
SUBJECT: PRE-VOCATIONAL STUDIES
TOPIC: NATURAL RESOURCES AND THEIR USES
BRIEF EXPLANATION: Mineral resources are the valuable things that are obtained directly from nature and then processed into finished goods for our use. Natural resource are also called raw materials.
Groups of natural resources –
Natural resources are divided into two groups: Agricultural resources and mineral resources.
- Agricultural resources: – These are natural resources obtained from farming activities.
- Mineral resource: – These are resources mined from the earth, examples: coal, gold, columbite etc. Some are extracted from the sea- examples: crude oil, chromium, sand, salt, copper etc.
Clay, limestone, tin etc. are gotten from land.
Some of the natural resources in Nigeria are the following:
- Iron ore
- Crude oil
- Hide and skin
- Cassava etc.
Agricultural resources and their uses:
- Cocoa beverages, cream
- Coffee beverages
- Wheat flour
- Cassava garri, cassava flour
- Timber planks, plywood, paper etc.
- Wool thread, cloth etc
- Raffia mats, baskets, hats etc
- Palm oil margarine, soap
- Rubber tyres, shoes, containers etc
- Jute ropes, canvas
- Cotton thread, cloth
- Hide and skin leather
Some mineral resources and their uses:
- Coal road construction, heating, power generation.
- Iron ore production of steel, iron rods, nails etc
- Crude oil petrol, kerosene, wax, plastic, diesel, chemicals
- Gold coins, ornament, jewelry etc
- Tin alloy, coating of iron, containers.
- Lime stone cement, asbestos
- Phosphorus safety matches
- Natural gas for cooking, heating, burning etc.
- Salt to season food, for food preservation.
- Lead for making batteries and electronic cables
- zinc roofing sheets
- What are natural resources?
- List 7 agricultural resources and their uses in a tabular form.
- List 7 mineral resources and indicate their uses in a tabular form.
- Another name for natural resources is ____________
- ___________ is used in the production of asbestos.
- Name the raw materials needed in the production of each of the following finished products:
b.) Sardine in tins
c.) A house
d.) A wooden desk
e) .Ground nut oil
f.) Palm oil
g.) Electrical cables
h.) Tissue paper