WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 3
CLASS: J.S.S 1
SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
TOPIC: EQUIPMENT, MATERIALS FOR THE CARE OF THE FAMILY HOUSE
REFERENCE: COMPREHENSIVE HOME ECONOMICS 1
Materials for the care of a family house
The following are some of them
- Brooms and dust pans: – These are used to sweep and gather dust and dirt so as to throw them away.
- Brushes: – Brushes are used to scrub surfaces to remove stubborn dirt. There are soft feather brushes used in dusting delicate decoration and books. Horse hair and coconut fibers are used in making good quality hard brushes for sweeping carpet surfaces and the compound.
Nylon is used to make toilet brushes. They get dry quickly after use
- Mops:- These are used to remove water from smooth floors.
- Dusters: – These are medium sized pieces of fabrics used in removing dust from surfaces.
- Vacuum cleaners and carpet sweepers are used to clean the carpet especially rug.
Types of family house care
There are three types of family house care:
- Daily cleaning
The following should be done everyday
- Fold up the mosquito nets and straighten the bedsheet and covers.
- Wash all plates and pots that are dirty or have been used.
- Sweep the floor, pack the swept dust and dirt. Throw them into the waste bin.
- Dust surfaces like the tables, room divider, chairs and put them in their proper places etc.
- Weekly cleaning
This type of cleaning is carried out once a week. It is usually planned on weekends. When parents do not go to work and children do not go to school.
- Remove curtains and wash or shake off dust and spread outside to air.
- Take out the mattresses, shake out dust and keep in the sun to air and sun.
- Remove cobwebs from the ceilings, clean the walls with a long broom.
- Clean toilets and bathrooms according to type etc
- Seasonal or occasional cleaning
This is done every three or six months. If the weekly cleaning is done regularly occasional cleanings may be few during the year.
The following are done occasionally
- Take out the rug, beat out dust and wash if it is not in the raining season.
- Bring out clothes from wherever they are kept. Wash and iron the dirty ones.
- Take out the mattresses, get rid of the dust from them and leave in the sun to air and sun, clean the bed frame. Spray joints with insecticide.
Exercises / Assignment
List and explain four other materials that can be used to care for the family house.