WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 4
CLASS: J.S.S 1
SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
TOPIC: WASTE DISPOSAL, SITES FOR WASTE DISPOSAL AND METHODS OF WASTE DISPOSAL
REFERENCE: COMPREHENSIVE HOME ECONOMICS 1
Meaning of waste disposal
As we carry out activities in the home, we gather things that are no more useful and must be thrown away.
These are called ‘Household waste or refuse and the throwing away of the refuse is referred to as disposal.
Therefore waste disposal is the throwing away of refuse.
Collection of waste
There are three main types of waste.
- Dry waste e.g paper, rags, peels etc
- Liquid waste – body waste, (water)
- Rotten waste e.g left over food, raw meat etc
Methods of disposal of waste
The different types of waste gathered Have their individual methods of disposal.
- Disposal of liquid waste: – Throw the water alone in the gutter or outside the house. It is unhygienic to extend a pipe outside to drain waste water to the public road. Waste water from toilets and bathrooms are disposed of in a soak away pit.
- Dry waste: – Separate those that can burn from those that cannot burn. Broken bottles, tins etc should be buried while dry waste should be burnt.
- Food wastes:- These include burnt food, waste gathered from plates after eating, trimmings from raw meat or fish, intestines – these should be removed, gathered and disposed of properly.
Exercises / Assignment
- List four examples of household wastes.
- State two things that can happen when waste are not properly disposed of.