TERM/WEEK: THIRD TERM/WEEK 1
DATE: 2nd June 2020
CLASS: J.S.S 1
SUBJECT: Basic Technology
Topic: Review of wood work hand tools.
Reference: Lantern Basic Technology book 1(page 53).
Objective: At the end of this lesson the student should be able to:
- Identify work bench and its appliances.
- Identify some hand tools and state their uses.
- Explain the term “Workbench”.
Students write on desks, surgeons operate on a table in operation theatres, a barman serves on counters, and so on. Wood workers operate on the workbench with workshop tools and appliances.
Workbench: This is a piece of workshop furniture on which jobs as well as tools are supported during construction. The lower central part of a workbench is called well. The appliances attached to the workbench are discussed below:
- Vice: This is fixed to the side of the bench. It is used for loading the job while sawing, planting, chiselling or ripping.
- Bench stop: This is a small piece of wood or metal fixed on the top edge of the work bench. It is used to prevent wood from slipping off the bench top during planning.
- Bench hook: This is used for holding job while cutting or chiselling on the bench.
- Bench Holdfast: This is an appliance used to hold the job firmly on the bench.
Kinds of tools
- Measuring tools: examples (a) metric rule (b) callipers (c) Pair of dividers (d) protractor (b) Vernier Callipers: used for measuring both internal and external dimension.
- Setting and making tools: examples are: (a) Tee-square (b) sliding bevel (c) meter square (d) T pairs of compass (c) trammel (d) surfaces plate (g) scriber (h) punch (used for making small dots on the metal)
- Driving tools: (tools used for sending and bringing out screws)
- b) Mallets (A soft hammers)
(c) Pair of pincers
(d) Screw driver
- Busing tools:
- (b) Bits and wood drills
Holding tools: Examples are: (a) clamp (b) vice (c) pliers.
Paring and cutting tools: examples (a) saws: these include: (i) Rip saw (ii) cross-cut saw (iii) panel saw (iiii) Back saw (v) Tenon (vi) hack saw (for cutting metals)
(b) plane (c) spoke shave (d) chisel
- Identify ten wood work tools and group them into measuring, driving, cutting and marking out.
- Draw a tee-square and state its uses.
- Name 3 appliances attached to a workbench.
- What is a workbench?
- The lower central part of a workbench is called _________
- A screw driver is used to _________