WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 2
CLASS: J.S.S 1
TOPIC: WATER AND AIR TRANSPORTATION
BRIEF EXPLANATION: Water transportation is a form of transportation whereby the movement of passengers and good from one place to another is carried out by water bodies such as rivers, seas and oceans.
Means of water transport are speed boats, canoes, yatches, cruise, hover craft and so on.
Advantages of water transportation
- It has the largest capacity for carrying heavy and bulky goods.
- It is not prone to accident.
Disadvantages of water transportation
- It is not easily accessible to people who are not living near rivers or seas.
- The operation of water transportation is usually disturbed by bad weather.
Air transportation is the movement of passengers and goods from one place to another by air.
It is the fastest means of transportation but with very serious risks. This means of transportation makes use of airplanes of different sizes such as helicopters, jumbo jets, and so on.
Advantages of Air Transportation
- Air transportation is the fastest means of transportation.
- Traveling in aircraft is more comfortable and involves enough enjoyment/entertainment, food, drink, etc.
- It is the most suitable for carrying expensive, fragile and urgent goods such as drugs, jewllery etc.
Disadvantages of air transportation
- Air transportation is expensive.
- Weather condition affect its service.
- Passengers are only dropped at the airport.
- It occasionally suffers from very serious and fatal accidents.
Exercises / Assignment
- What is water transportation?
- Define air transportation.
- List 4 means of water and 3 means of air transportation.