TERM/WEEK: THIRD TERM/WEEK 3
DATE: 2nd June 2020
SUBJECT: NATIONAL VALUES
TOPIC: SUPREMACY OF THE CONSTITUTION
REFERENCE MATERIALS: Online Sources and Comprehensive Civic Education for JSS 2.
INSTRUCTIONAL MATERIALS: A copy of the Constitution.
BEHAVIOURAL OBJECTIVES: At the end of the lesson, learners should be able to:
- Explain the meaning of the Supremacy of the Constitution.
- Explain why the Constitution is Supreme.
PRESENTATION OF LESSON
STEP 1: Meaning of Supremacy of the Constitution
Supremacy means a position in which one has more power, authority or status than anyone else does. Supremacy of the constitution means that the constitution is supreme i.e. no law and no person is above the constitution. It does not matter the position a person holds in the society, he/she has no power above the constitution of a country.
Reasons Why the Constitution is Supreme
- Nigeria is a Federal Supreme. Federal states must necessarily adopt a rigid constitution which could only be amended by two-third majority of the legislature.
- The certified laws and procedures are joint efforts made by all the units in a federation.
- The constitution is a binding legal document that must be adhered to by all individuals in a country or nation no matter the status of the individual.
- What is the meaning of a constitution?
- Why is the constitution supreme?
- Define Supremacy of the Constitution