WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM /WEEK 9
CLASS: JSS 2
DATE: 26th June, 2020
SUBJECT: Physical and Health Education
TOPIC: Food, Nutrition and Consumer Health.
Note for the Student
Consumer health education refers to precautions or steps taken to protect buyers and consumers from buying and using harmful products.
Consumer rights include:
- Consumers have the right to know the expiry date of any product they buy or consume.
- They have right to good food and efficient services.
- Right to know where the product is manufactured.
- Right to choose food and products they want.
- Right to know the name and address of the manufacturer of any product they buy or consume.
Agencies protecting consumer health in Nigeria.
- National Agency for Food and Drugs Administration and Control (NAFDAC)
- Standard Organization of Nigeria (SON)
- Nigeria Medical Association (NMA)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- Manufacturers Association of Nigeria (MAN)
- Consumer Protection Council (CPC)
Importance of Consumer Health Education
- It promotes good health.
- It avoids buying of fake food and products.
- It prevents the consumer from patronizing quacks.
- It improves the standard of food and drugs.
- It provides health information and advice about health products and services to consumers.
Give the meaning of the following agencies