WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 1
CLASS: J.S.S 2
TOPIC: TRANSPORTATION IN TOURISM
Definition of transportation:- Transportation is the movement of passengers and good from one place to another.
In tourism, transportation aids the movement of tourists from place of interest to another.
Transportation is an essential tool in the development of tourism. It is the life wire for effective tourism development.
Types of transportation.
Transportation system in Nigeria is mainly categorized into three, namely.
- Land transportation
- Water transportation
- Air transportation
Land Transportation:- Land transportation involves the movement of passengers and goods from one place to another on land. It is classified into two main types: road transportation and rail transportation.
i.) Road transportation: – This is the most popular form of transportation. It links cities and countries together. For instance, tourists can be transported by land from Ghana to Lagos (Nigeria)
Advantages of road transportation
- It links places more than other means of transportation
- road transportation is usually flexible and cheaper than other means of transportation.
- It services can lead to door to door delivery.
- Roads are easier to construct compared to airports.
Disadvantages of road transportation.
- Road transportation usually encounters traffic congestions (popularly called hold-up).
- It is prone to road accidents than other forms of transportation.
- Vehicles experience more breakdown, thereby disrupting movement.
- Motor vehicles do not carry as much heavy and bulky goods as the train or ship does.
ii.) Rail transportation:- Rail transportation involves the use of trains in transporting people and goods from one place to another. The train does not move on ordinary road as motor vehicles. It moves on rail lines called railway.
Advantages of rail transportation
- It carries heavy and bulky goods over very long distance.
- It is safer for passengers and goods because trains generally have fewer accidents than motor vehicles.
- It is more convenient to travel for a long journey.
Disadvantages of rail transportation
- Rail transportation is not flexible because it operates on fixed routes and rigid time tables.
- It is not suitable for carrying perishable goods.
- Rail-ways are expensive to construct and the trains are costly to maintain.
- Define transportation
- List down 3 main types of transportation.
- Write down 2 types of land transportation and state their advantages and disadvantages.