WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 1
CLASS: J.S.S 2
SUBJECT: HOME ECONOMICS
TOPIC: meaning and types of seam finishing
REFERENCE: Material: comprehensive home economics textbook for JSS 2.
Meaning of seam finishes
Seam finish are stitching or other methods used to neaten raw edges of a seam allowance.
Types of seam finishes
They include pinking, edge stitching binding, over casting, loop stitch, zig zag stitch, self-finishing etc.
- Pinking: It is a quick method. It is used for closely woven fabric which do not fray easily, pinking shear is used for this purpose.
- Edge stitching: – It is good for finishing very light weight fabric that are not transparent. It is strong and can withstand many washings. To make:
- Fold the extreme edge of the seam allowance under.
- Stitch close to the fold.
- Binding: This is the best way of finishing edges of fabrics that fray easily. It adds some bulk to medium and heavy weight fabric.
How to bind:
- Place the right side of binding tape or bias to the right side of garment.
- Pin and tack, making sure that the edges are aligned.
- Hand sew or machine stitch.
- Zig-zag:- The method is quick. It is a machine stitch that can be used on all types of fabric.
- Overcasting: – These are especially suitable for soft fabric that ravel easily. It can be used on both fine and thick fabrics.
- Loop stitch: – This is used on thick fabric that fray easily.
Explain the term seam finishing.
List and explain three types of seam finishes.