WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM /WEEK 3
CLASS: Grade 3
DATE: 26th June, 2020
SUBJECT: Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC: First Aid and Safety Education
Reference: Stan Basic Science and Technology for primary 4.
Safety is an important aspect of a school programme because it is an area where practical measures are taken to protect the pupils from accident or injury. If a school is accident free for a whole academic year it is as a result of a very good safety programme. Safety involves protecting ourselves and others.
Notes for the pupils
Meaning of Safety
Safety means freedom from danger and harm, capable of being brought by accident.
First Aid –
First aid is the immediate and temporary treatment given to an injured person before the arrival of a doctor or any medical personnel.
A person who gives first aid is called a first aider.
Content of a First Aid Box – Items used for first air, are usually kept in a box or container called the first aid box. These are some of the items we may have in a first aid box:
- Cotton wool
- Razor blade
- Smelling salt
- Methylated spirt
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Safety pins
- Antiseptic (TEP, Dettol, Septol)
- Gentian Violet
Meaning of safety education
Safety education is the recognition and avoidance of hazard causing illnesses, disabilities or death.
To reduce the risk of injuries, the following precautions should be taken:
- All harmful things should be removed from our environment.
- Where the playground is slippery or water logged, any sort of sport should be avoided.
- The playground should be free from sharp objects such as nails and broken bottles.
- Avoid the use of ornaments and accessories such as earrings, chains, wristwatches and bangles that can injure you.
- People should learn, understand and obey the traffic signs.
- There should be enough fire extinguishers in every building.
- The public should be enlightened through safety education.
- Electrical appliances should be disconnected immediately you finish using them.
- Define the following (a) Safety (b) First Aid (c) Safety Education.
- List 10 contents of a first aid box.
State 5 precautions to be taken to avoid injuries.