WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM /WEEK 5
CLASS: Grade 3
DATE: 26th June, 2020
SUBJECT: Basic Science and Technology
TOPIC: Pest and Diseases of Crops and Plants
Reference: Stan Basic Science and Technology for primary 4. And the Encyclopaedia Britannica.
There are some insects and animals that attack our food crops, these insects or animals are known as pests. They are capable of destroying our food and rendering it uneatable.
Notes for the Pupils
Definition of Pests
Pests are insects and animals that destroy plants and food by feeding on them.
A disease is an abnormality in the system of a living thing which prevents proper functionality. Some common disease of crops are: tomatoes rot, maize smut, rice blast, cassava mosaic etc.
Examples of pests
- Insects e.g. grasshoppers, caterpillars, locust, beetles, aphids, bug etc.
- Birds e.g. sparrows
- Rodent e.g. squirrel, rat, mice, grasscutter etc.
Some crop plants and their pest
|3.||maize||rodents, aphids, beetles|
|5.||banana and plantain||beetles, monkeys|
Control of pests and diseases
- Chemical control: this involves the use of chemicals to control pest e.g pesticide, fungicides, insecticide, herbicides etc.
- Physical methods: this involves making the environment hostile for the pests e.g. control of the temperature of the environment, setting of traps.
- Protective practice: this involves weeding, mulching, overhead shaves etc.
- Cultural practice: this involves the use of resistant varieties of plants, quick removal of infected plants, crop rotation, planting treated seeds.
- Explain the following:
- List 3 plants and their common pests
- Write 3 ways of pest control.