WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM /WEEK 2
CLASS: Grade 3
DATE: 26th June, 2020
SUBJECT: BASIC SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
TOPIC: Energy: meaning, forms, sources, and uses
Reference: Stan Basic Science and Technology for primary 4
Human beings and animals need energy to carry themselves about. Energy is needed for breathing and other things. This energy is obtained from the food that is eaten. The main source of food is the plants. Plants require energy from the sun called solar energy to manufacture their food through the process of photosynthesis.
Therefore, it is important to know that there can be no life without energy.
Notes for the pupils:
Meaning of energy.
Energy is the ability to do work.
There are two kinds of energy namely:
- Potential energy (energy at rest)
- Kinetic energy (energy in motion)
Forms and uses of energy
- Mechanical energy –This is energy required to do work.
- Light energy – use of fluorescence at home.
- Heat energy – use of irons and microwaves.
- Solar energy – Used by plants and it gives us light and heat energy. That is to say it gives light and heat energy to the whole world.
- Chemical energy – use of kerosene, gas cooker etc.
- Nuclear energy – used to generate electricity.
- Electrical energy – use of generator.
- Sound energy – use of microphones and loud speakers.
- Wind energy – used to sail boats.
Sources of energy
The various forms of energy listed above have different sources. The sources of energy include:
- The sun – solar energy.
- Fossil fuels (coal, petroleum and natural gas) – chemical energy.
- Wind – wind energy
- Radioactive materials – nuclear energy.
- Wood, coal, florescence bulb and the sun produce heat energy.
- Electricity and the sun produce light energy.
- What is energy?
- Name 2 kinds of energy.
- List five (5) forms and uses of energy.
- List 4 sources of energy.