WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 1
CLASS: GRADE 3
SUBJECT: COMPUTER SCIENCE
TOPIC: USES AND IMPORTANCE OF THE COMPUTER
BRIEF EXPLANATION: A computer being a versatile machine can be used to perform various tasks in the following fields: banking and finance, communication, business, education, medicine, defense, internet, transportation etc.
Different types of computers may be designed to be used in different fields.
Importance of the computer –
- Automation: – Automation is the ability to perform a given task automatically. Once the computer receives a program, the program is stored in the computer’s memory, the program and instructions can control the program execution without human interaction.
- Reliability: – Modern electronic computers have long life. A computer is a reliable machine.
- Reduction in paper work and cost: – The uses of computers for data processing in an organization leads to reduction in paper work and results in speeding up the process and reducing cost.
- Versatility: – At one instance it can be used to solve a complex scientific problem and the very next moment it may be playing a card game. This means a computer can be used to perform various different tasks.
- Diligence: – Unlike humans, computers are free from the feeling of monotony, tiredness, and lack of concentration. A computer can work continuously without any error and boredom.
- Storage capability: – Memory is a very important characteristics of computers. It can store large amount of data.
- Accuracy: – Calculations done by computers are 100% error free.
- High speed: – Computers are able to perform a high number of tasks within a short time.
- Name five fields in which computers can be used.
- Explain the term automation in computer.
- What is accuracy in computer?