WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM /WEEK 4
CLASS: Grade 2
DATE: 26th June, 2020
TOPIC: Forming Adjectives from nouns and verbs
Reference: The Mastering English book,pages 68 to 69.
Forming adjectives from nouns and verbs
Adjectives are words that describe nouns in a sentence. Example: beautiful, intelligent, clever, smart, tough, kind, strong etc.
Nouns are names of people, animals, places or things. Example: John, Rita, man, boy, cat, market, school, table, birthday etc.
Verbs are action words or doing words: example: walk, talk, see, clap, laugh, work, dig, run, cut etc.
Examples of forming Adjectives from Nouns and Verbs:
|1.||boy||boy + ish —- boyish|
|2.||child||child + ish — childish|
|3.||virtue||virtue + ous —virtuous|
|4.||danger||danger + ous — dangerous|
|5.||riot||riot + ous — riotous|
|6.||salute||salute + ary — salutary|
|7.||Elizabeth||Elizabeth + an — Elizabethan|
|8.||courage||courage + eous — courageous|
|9.||fear||fear + ful — fearful|
|10.||health||health + y — healthy|
Examples of forming adjectives from verbs:
|1.||move||move + able — movable|
|2.||read||read + able — readable|
|3.||interact||interact + ive — interactive|
|4.||punish||punish + able — punishable|
|5.||elect||elect + ive — elective|
|6.||like||like + ly — likely|
|7.||access||access + ible — accessible|
|8.||hope||hope + ful —hopeful|
Making sentences with the new word
- Drinking while driving is dangerous.
- The man keeps displaying a childish attitude.
- A virtuous woman is rare to find.
- We had an interactive class.
- Some books are readable.
- He is such a healthy baby.
- The fearful will not go to heaven.
- You have to be courageous to reach your goals.
- Some youths live a riotous life.
- This road is accessible.
Take a look at the Mastering English book, Exercise 30, on page 68 – 69.
- Differentiate between an Adjective, a noun and a verb.
- Form 5 adjectives from nouns and verbs respectively.
- Make sentences with the new words.
- Complete exercises 1 and 2 of the Mastering English book, page 69.