WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM /WEEK 3
CLASS: Grade 3
DATE: 26th June, 2020
TOPIC: Stress and Intonation: Stress and Unstressed Words in Sentences
Stress and Intonation
Stress is an extra force placed on a part of a word.
Intonation is the rise and fall of pitch.
There are two intonation patterns. These are:
- The rising tone.
- The falling tone.
The rising tone is used:
(a) When we ask a Yes/No question
- Did you see the driver?
- Have you found the bunch of keys?
- Is she your mother?
- Can you ride a bicycle?
- Did you have you bathe before coming to school this morning?
(b) In incomplete statements
- While the national anthem was going on ———-
- The team that won the football match ————-
The falling tone is used when:
(a) When asking wh-questions.
- What is your name?
- Who are you?
(b) In complete statement:
- I am a boy.
- She is my friend.
- I have passed the examination.
- You may get it.
- What is the difference between stress and intonation?
- Mention the two intonation patterns, and give three examples of each.