TERM/WEEK: THIRD TERM/ WEEK 5
DATE: 4th July, 2020
CLASS: Grade 3
SUBJECT: Pre-vocational Studies
TOPIC: Snacks and Fruit Drinks: Meaning, Types and Examples.
REFERENCE: Lantern Comprehensive Pre-Vocational Studies Book 4.
Healthy snacks are one of the keys to diet success. Snacking can keep you filled, balance blood sugar levels, provide energy between meals, and even boost overall nutrient intake.
Notes for the pupils
Meaning of Snacks
Snacks are the light refreshments eaten in-between meals. They are usually small and should not be eaten too much at any given time. They help to replenish energy which gets low as a result of daily activities. They, more or less keep us stable before the next meal of the day (breakfast, lunch and dinner) because we do not derive full nutrient benefit from them.
Types of snacks
Popular snack foods all over Nigeria include:
- Roasted groundnut
- Plantain chips
- Boiled or roasted corn
- Puff puff or buns
- Meat pies
- Sausage rolls
- Scotch eggs
- Biscuit s
Meaning of Fruit Drinks
Fruit drinks are drinks made from fruit extracts. They could be made from just one type of fruit or a combination of two or more fruit extracts.
Fruit drinks can be made at home or bought in the market. The concentrated ones like orange squash should be diluted with clean fresh cold water.
Types of Fruit Drinks (Juice)
- Cranberry: tart and bright red, cranberry juice offers many benefits.
- Tomato: Tomato juice is not only a key ingredient, on its own as a delicious and healthy drink.
- Beet: Beet juice has gained popularity in recent years due to its associated health benefits. This colourful juice is made by blending beets and water.
- Apple: Apple drink is one of the most popular types of juice. There are two main types – cloudy and clear.
- Prune: Prunes are dried plums. They are often enjoyed as a snack.
- Pomegranate: Pomegranate juice has gained popularity in recent years due to its nutritional benefits.
- Orange: Orange is a classic breakfast drink around the word and well known for its nutritional properties.
- Grapefruit: This is a tart drink that many people enjoy.
- Explain the meaning of snacks and fruit drinks.
- Mention 4 foods eaten as snacks.
- Name three fruits that can be used for fruit drinks.