WEEK/TERM: THIRD TERM/WEEK 1
CLASS: GRADE 4
SUBJECT: PRE-VOCATIONAL STUDIES
TOPIC: THE FAMILY
BRIEF EXPLANATION: A family is the basic unit of every society.
NOTES FOR THE CHILDREN
A family is a group of people related by blood or marriage or adoption. without the family, no society can exist.
Types of families are: the nuclear family, the extended family, the monogamous family, the polygamous family and the single [parent family.
- Nuclear family: – This family consists of the father, the mother and the children.
- The extended family: – This family consists of father, mother, children, grand parents and other relatives.
- Monogamous family: – This is a family where husband has only one wife.
- Polygamous family: – This is a family where the husband has more than one wife.
- The single parent family:- This is a family where either the father or the mother is absent and the children are raised by only one parent.
Functions of the family:
- The family provides basic needs such as food, shelter, education, clothing and security.
- The family shows love and care to all members of the family.
- The family teaches children and other members of the family societal norms, cultural values and belief.
Exercise / Assignment
- What is a family?
- Explain the term “single parent family.
- List the types of family you know
- Write two functions of the family.
- Complete the following questions
a.)Your mother’s son is your _________________
b.)Your mother’s brother is your ______________
c.)Your mother’s daughter is your ___________
d.)Your father’s father is your _______________